Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Saturday, March 28, 2009

What can a veggie eat?: Taco Bell

***11/6/2013 Edited to add the following: ***
Ever since I went GMO-free and organic in January 2013, I have been debating with myself about whether or not to delete this post and the others regarding fast food restaurants. My dilemma is that this post brings in more readers than all my other posts combined, and I don't want to lose that if even just a few of you stay around to read more than this post -- yet I also don't want it to seem as if I am promoting or condoning eating at these restaurants. Even the menu items which appear to be free of animal ingredients or which are marketed as "healthy" options are still crammed full of unnecessary filler ingredients, chemicals, and preservatives. Yes, even the fruit.

If this post brought you to my blog, I strongly encourage you to read my more recent posts starting with this one

Surprisingly (to me, anyway), even though Taco Bell is probably best known for their meaty dishes, they actually have quite a few meatless options, thanks to good ol' beans.

These menu items appear to be ok for ovo-lacto-vegetarians:

Cinnamon twists
Bean burrito
7-layer burrito
Pintos 'n cheese
Mexican rice
Cheese quesadilla
Cheese roll-up

These items are iffy because of their mysterious "natural flavors" in the nacho cheese sauce and the empanada:

Caramel apple empanada
1/2 Pound cheesy bean & rice burrito
Nachos
Cheesy fiesta potatoes
Triple layer nachos

I'd also call the Fiesta Potatoes iffy for now, just because I don't know if they're fried with any meat items. Maybe someone else knows?

Disclaimer: This list is a guide, but isn't absolute. This list only pertains to what does or does not contain animal ingredients, but items on it may contain other ingredients you might find unsuitable (soy, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, etc). Or, you may find items on this list or at this restaurant unsuitable for other reasons not listed here. So: Don't just take my word for it. Do your own research. Ask questions. Make sure they don't cook your food in animal fat. Etc, etc. If you see any errors in my list or if you have additional information, please notify me kindly, but no flames please. :)

1 comment:

Ampris said...

It's worth noting that their beans are now lard free (though that has to be checked on from time to time in case they change back!) but their sour cream contains gelatin! Boo!