Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Monday, March 23, 2009

Recipe: Spinach Enchiladas

This is my version of Enchiladas Espinacas, inspired by a vegetarian dish of the same name from a local Mexican restaurant called El Gitano. When I eat it there, I always mix the beans in with the enchiladas, so for my own version I decided to just put the beans inside to begin with. ;) The bottled salsa verde I have used with this recipe isn't nearly as good as the green veggie sauce they use at the restaurant, but if I ever find a good recipe for that, I'll share it here too.


My version of ENCHILADAS ESPINACAS
(spinach enchiladas)
Serves 2-3

Amounts of filler ingredients are guesstimates. Adjust amounts to suit your own taste.

- 6 Corn tortillas (larger size)
- About 4 Baby Bella mushrooms (or equivalent), diced
- About 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
- About 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- About 1/3 of a large bell pepper (or equivalent of other pepper), diced
- About 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tomato, diced, seeds removed
- 1/2 can of red beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 fl oz of salsa verde or green enchilada sauce
- About 1/2 to 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (or as desired)
- Salt, pepper, and Mexican spices to taste

Preheat oven to 375F.
Saute mushrooms, pepper, onion, corn, and spices until onion starts to look translucent. Add spinach and cook for another minute or two. Move cooked veggies to a bowl and mix together with tomato and beans. Heat tortillas in microwave according to directions on package to soften them. Place a tortilla in baking pan, fill with veggie mixture, and roll up. Repeat with other tortillas, laying them close to each other in pan. Top liberally with sauce and grated cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until hot inside.

No comments: