Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Saturday, March 28, 2009

What can a veggie eat?: Burger King

***11/6/2013 Edited to add the following: ***
Ever since I went GMO-free and organic in January 2013, I have been debating with myself about whether or not to delete this post and the others regarding fast food restaurants. My dilemma is that these posts bring in more readers than all my other posts combined, and I don't want to lose that if even just a few of you stay around to read more than this post -- yet I also don't want it to seem as if I am promoting or condoning eating at these restaurants. Even the menu items which appear to be free of animal ingredients or which are marketed as "healthy" options are still crammed full of unnecessary filler ingredients, chemicals, and preservatives. Yes, even the fruit.

If this post brought you to my blog, I strongly encourage you to read my more recent posts starting with this one

Here is my latest installment of trying-to-be-helpful tips for vegetarians caught in a fast food restaurant. I sincerely hope I am being helpful with this information and not insulting or offensive to other vegetarians! For more on that, please read my disclaimer at the bottom.

Burger King: not a lot of options here. But! At least they have a veggie burger! A yummy Morningstar Farms one, even. Just make sure they microwave it, not cook it on the grill with the meat!

These items appear to be okay for ovo-lacto-vegetarians (again, items marked with a "V" appear to be vegan):

BK veggie burger
French fries - V (website claims that these are always cooked in a separate, dedicated fryer)
Dutch apple pie - V
Apple fries - V
Kraft mac & cheese (kids' meal)
Cini-minis
Shakes
Hershey's sundae pie
Side garden salad - V
Tendercrisp/Tendergrill garden salad w/o chicken
Ketchup
Mustard

I've classified these items as "iffy", because the website warns that they may be cooked in the same fryer as meat products:

Onion rings
Cheesy tots
French toast sticks
Hash browns

I could not find any info on their website for ingredients in their salad dressings, so be careful. Read the packet first.

Disclaimer: This list is a guide, but isn't absolute. This list only pertains to what does or does not contain animal ingredients, but items on it may contain other ingredients you might find unsuitable (soy, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, etc). Or, you may find items on this list or at this restaurant unsuitable for other reasons not listed here. So: Don't just take my word for it. Do your own research. Ask questions. Make sure they don't cook your food in animal fat. Etc, etc. If you see any errors in my list or if you have additional information, please notify me kindly, but no flames please. :)

No comments: