Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Why the fake dairy?

If you've been keeping up with my blog up to this point, you may find yourself wondering, "If Jazzhands is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian, why does she bother trying fake dairy products?"

That's a very good question! It certainly seems easier (and cheaper) to just stick to moo juice and cheese. But something happened during my years-long conversion to vegetarianism -- my tastebuds woke up, and I discovered that I like trying new foods!

Plus, subconsciously I guess I'm sticking out my feelers toward veganism. I don't know if I could ever give up cheese or honey, but I'd never know if I didn't try some alternatives.

Also, it's good to know about alternative foods if the situation should arise that I would have to cook for vegans or people with other dietary restrictions.

The final reason is that I've often heard about cow milk containing undesirable stuff like antibiotics and hormones, which can mess with your body and your skin. If I could manage to switch off of cow milk for a while and feel better...

-jazzhands

No comments: