Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lightlife Smart Ground Mexican Style

I've been on a Mexican food kick lately -- after making my spinach enchiladas three times in the space of about a week, I picked up some flour tortillas and made some "chicken" quesadillas (one using Boca chicken patty, another using Quorn -- and the Boca one was better!). And after that, I have made several variations of a veggie super-taco. The first super-taco, made with Morningstar Farms Grillers burger strips cooked with taco seasoning, was super-yummy. Then, for something different, I decided to try a new fake ground beef product: Lightlife Smart Ground Mexican Style. It comes pre-seasoned with Mexican seasoning, and all you have to do is heat it up and throw it in your taco, burrito, or whatever.

It has a real ground beef-like appearance and texture, more than the Morningstar Farms crumbles I'm used to. The flavor is very wheat-gluteny, but I'm starting to get used to that, so it didn't bother me much. My only real complaint is that I wish it had just a little more seasoning added, but I can always mix in a little extra when I'm cooking it for myself.

The price (in the store where I usually shop) is about the same as a package of Morningstar Farms Grillers Crumbles, but you actually get 12 oz. of the Smart Ground, while MSF's deceptively larger package only has 8 oz... but either one is plenty for several servings.

Lightlife has many other fake meat products, including plain ground beef and ground sausage. Since I was fairly pleased with this one, I'm looking forward to trying more in the future.

Oh, and it's got 9 grams of vegan protein per serving.

**Edited to add: According to the Morningstar Farms website, the MSF Grillers Recipe Crumbles comes in a 12 oz. package. Even though I distinctly remember comparing the two products in the store and deciding to try the Lightlife product because it had more in it, I thought I should mention this in case the MSF product comes in different sizes... or in the unlikely even that I was wrong. ;) Because I don't have any MSF Crumbles in my freezer at this moment, I cannot say for sure.

Protein Source: Soy, wheat
Allergens: Soy, wheat
Vegan

2 comments:

SerendipiT said...

I enjoyed some tacos made with the Lightlife Smart Ground Mexican Style for dinner last night. My family is not vegetarian, but we try to limit our meat intake to one day a week or fewer for health and environmental good karma. We made a batch of gaucamole, light sour cream, taco sauce, and fresh tomato from the garden and a little queso; we actually enjoyed these more than real meat tacos. The crumbles were perfectly seasoned, had chew and were moist. I love it when good for you tastes good too!

jazzhands said...

Hi there! Thanks for your comment :)

Sounds like a yummy dinner! It makes a really great simple enchilada too -- with some corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, diced onion, and cheese. I still need to try their ground "sausage" and regular ground "beef"!