Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Boca Original Meatless Chik'n Nuggets

This was a surprise -- in more ways than one. I was in a Target today to pick up a few things and not even planning on grocery shopping (except to pick up a loaf of bread), but I decided to peek at the little vegetarian section of the frozen foods to see if there was anything new or interesting. I scanned it from the bottom up (meh, I'm short), not seeing anything I needed, knowing I had still had some burgers, sausage, and bacon at home... I was just about to walk away when the bag of Boca Chik'n Nuggets on the top shelf caught my eye. I have never seen this product since discovering my love of Boca Chik'n Patties, so I just had to try it. I figured it's got to be at least as good as the patties, right?

Um... well... insert confused face and head scratching here.

I was eager to have some of these for dinner, so I cooked up one serving (four nuggets) with some nummy MSF broccoli and cheese bites on the side, piled on a plate with a dollop of barbecue sauce. I wanted to get a pure sampling of the new nuggets, so I tried one first without sauce. It was... weird. I chewed on it, trying to figure out what it tasted like, and couldn't put my finger on it. So I took another bite, and it hit me: it tastes like... FISH? Now you see why I was confused!

As an omnivore, I loved eating fish. The smell, the flavor, the texture... It is still the only meat that I miss (except for the whole used-to-be-a-living-creature part). But there isn't any meatless faux fish that I'm aware of... so finding a vegan product that has a sort-of fish-like flavor -- even if it was supposed to be chicken-like -- is an interesting discovery. I'm still scratching my head over it, though.

Protein source: Soy, wheat
Allergens: Soy, wheat
Vegan

No comments: