Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Morningstar Farms Grillers Recipe Crumbles


Two nights ago, I made myself a tasty vegetarian lasagna using MSF Grillers Recipe Crumbles. It was relatively simple and came out pretty well, if a little overcooked. The Grillers Crumbles really made the dish for me, and it wasn't far off from my old favorite meaty lasagna.

I didn't use a recipe or measure anything, but it was something like this:

- 12-14 wide lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1 jar of vegetarian spaghetti sauce
- 3/4 of a bag of Morningstar Farms Grillers Recipe Crumbles
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2-3 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- garlic powder, oregano, and basil to taste

Preheat oven to 350F.
While noodles are cooking, mix ricotta, parmesan, and herbs/spices in a small bowl. Also, thaw Crumbles in microwave (30 seconds at a time, then stir; don't let them cook) in a medium bowl, then stir in spaghetti sauce, reserving about 1/4 cup. Spread reserved spaghetti sauce over the bottom of a 13"x9" baking pan, and lay out one layer of noodles. Spread a thin layer of cheese mixture over noodles, then a layer of sauce mixture. Continue layering, ending with top layer of noodles, sauce, and grated mozzarella. Bake about 40 minutes, or until hot all the way through. Don't judge doneness by appearance of mozzarella cheese on top! I was waiting for the cheese to melt, and it never happened -- thus my top layer ended up overcooked.

I think this product would also be delicious in tacos, or other Mexican dishes. MSF also makes a crumbled sausage product, which I would love to try but can't find anywhere...

**2/25/09 Edited to add: This stuff is also really good sprinkled onto a cheese or veggie pizza!

Protein source: Soy, wheat
Allergens: Soy, wheat
Vegan

No comments: