Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Friday, February 13, 2009

Gardenburger BBQ Riblets


I have never eaten real ribs, so I can't really compare this product to the real thing, but...

I've been a fan of this product for a while now -- pretty much ever since I discovered that I love barbecue sauce about a year or two ago.

Unlike many other veg*n convenience foods, you only get two servings per package. Each veggie riblet comes in a plastic pouch, which is microwaveable. Be very, very careful when you microwave this product! It is very easy to overcook, especially if you have a powerful microwave oven. I only have to cook mine for about half the recommended time for it to be heated through. If it is overcooked, it will chewy and tough to the point of being inedible... which is very sad when it smells so good!

The sauce is delicious -- sweet (but not too sweet) and spicy (but not too spicy). I think they should bottle it and make it available separately. The riblets are tasty too, and have a sort of chunky texture. I have eaten the riblets as a sandwich on a long roll or toasted bread with swiss cheese, or as-is with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. Yum.

And yes, it's even vegan! Yay!

On my last shopping trip, I noticed a suspiciously similar product from Morningstar Farms. I purchased it, not realizing that I already had a box of Gardenburger riblets at home. I compared the list of ingredients on the two boxes, and sure enough, they were identical. I wonder what this means..? Did MSF purchase Gardenburger? Hmm...

Protein source: Soy, wheat
Allergens: Soy, wheat
100% vegan

1 comment:

hatefulerin said...

I've always wondered about these. Ribs weren't something that ever seemed appetizing in meat form, but then again neither were hamburgers. Might have to give these a try next grocery trip.