Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Nature's Burger Mix

Today I tried Nature's Burger Mix by Fantastic Foods, purchased from the bulk foods section of my local grocery store.

It was extremely easy to make -- mix equal parts burger mix and hot water, form into patty, fry in pan, serve on bread with cheese/condiments. I had no idea how much to use, so I guessed and used about 1/3 cup water and mix, which made one patty with a small bit left over. 1/4 cup would probably be about right.

I thought the dough smelled really bland so I added a few things -- a little fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, celery salt -- but it didn't seem to help much. I thought about mixing in some diced veggies for more flavor, but wasn't sure if the mix would hold together with extra wet ingredients. Plus, I wanted to get an idea of how the product was (more or less) on its own.

The "burger" tastes strongly of sesame to me (not surprising since it does have a lot of sesame seeds in it...). For others, this could be a good thing or bad thing. For me, I thought it was a bit much.

The texture is good. It held together well while cooking and eating.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with the product as is, but I think it has a lot of potential -- especially since it is so quick and easy to make. I think with a little experimenting, some veggies or other ingredients could be added for more flavor, or veggie broth could be used instead of water. Also, I could see this mix being used to make "meat"-balls or perhaps other things...

Allergens: Wheat, soy, sesame
Vegan

No comments: