Hi, I'm jazzhands, and welcome to vegetablog. Here you will find reviews of vegetarian and vegan foods, a recipe or two, and maybe some occasional on- or off-topic discussion about other things I hope my readers might find interesting or useful. All posts are tagged for easier browsing. Please feel free to comment on any post (even the old ones) and/or take a poll. Thanks for visiting! :)

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Koyo Ramen, Mushroom Flavor




















It looks a lot like the ramen you're used to: plastic packet, block of curly noodles, foil packet of flavoring. It cooks a lot like the ramen you're used to. However, it has some major differences:

*It is made of natural ingredients
*It contains no MSG
*It is vegan
*IT HAS NO FLAVOR

I was in the grocery store yesterday looking for a cheap, convenient, vegetarian, Asian noodle soup. I looked at a powder mix for miso soup, but it was about $3 and I wasn't entirely sure it was vegetarian. I looked at some tasty looking noodle soups from Thai Kitchen and Annie Chun's which come in their own disposable bowl, but they all cost >$3 each. Then I happened upon the Koyo Ramen. They had three flavors: Mushroom, Soba, and Miso/Tofu, all $1.29 each ($1+ more than the popular ramen brands). I decided to get all three.

Maybe I was wrong to expect that it would have as much flavor as the cheapo brands. They, after all, contain MSG, artificial flavors, and meat. However, I don't think that a health- and environmentally-conscious person should have to sacrifice flavor to eat organic and vegetarian -- but it's starting to seem like this may all too often be the case.

Anyway, my search for tasty, vegetarian noodle soup continues.

Protein source:
Allergens:
Vegan

2 comments:

hatefulerin said...

My solution to soups with inadequate flavor, or anything with inadequate flavor, is to add a few drops of Tapatio. It's maybe not for everyone, but it's helped me through a lot of rough times and a lot of bland veggie food. I recommend giving this method a try, or something similar.

jazzhands said...

Yeah, I seem to remember adding a bunch of things into the soup to try to bring out any flavor it might have been hiding -- salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, soy sauce, onion powder, etc. -- but it was just a lost cause. :/ But having some hot sauce on hand would still be a good idea, definitely.